Monday, February 11, 2008

“Well, hello,” Miss J mimicked my phone answering, informing me I sound exactly like a Cinderella doll her girls have. I haven’t yet decided how I feel about this resemblance.

I’m a wimp. It’s embarrassing, disappointing and true. I started out this morning on a liquid fast, complete with good intentions to spend the day on my knees seeking breakthrough. I prayed. A little. After fixing quiche I wimped out and ate supper. Mostly because I didn’t want to try to explain myself. I wasn’t even hungry.

The passage Tabitha and I quoted tonight hit home, with comfort and hope. As Jesus revealed the New Jerusalem to the disciple whom He loved, He said, “These words are faithful and true: Behold! I make all things new!” Then He continued, describing the Holy City—there God will be among His people and He will wipe the tears from their eyes. There will be no more death, no more mourning, no more pain. Those things will have passed away. Future perfect tense, because the future will be perfect. My thoughts strayed to the Psalms where David pleaded for the Lord to take account of his wanderings. “Put my tears in Your bottle,” he pleaded, then continued with confidence, “Aren’t all my tears written in Your book?” The Lord is as eager for the day when all is new as are we. He is as eager to pour out His mercy on us, to wipe our tears away. He is waiting patiently, not willing that any should perish, for the day when we will be in His presence and know fullness of joy.

Lord, my tears have filled Thy jar
And Thy return cannot be far
Then Thou shalt wipe all weeping eyes
And bring us laughter from our sighs

For in that day, from death we’re free!
And greater, Lord, we’ll gaze on Thee
And lift our hearts and raise our voice.
In Thy presence, we rejoice.

No comments: